All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have many new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless people the chance to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by fancy ads about a particular laser. Pick the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician does not know this post can harm you.
4. Request info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken like it to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than expert care!
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for a lot of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision my response of countless individuals worldwide.